He Fought the LAW and the LAW Won!!
April 19, 2017
A Levy County Deputy found himself in a fight for his safety
late Monday evening. A female called the LCSO Communication Division and
requested help from a deputy to remove a male acquaintance from her property.
When the deputy arrived, he spoke to the complainant who told him the male
identified as Thomas William Ruble (7-26-86) from Indiana had overstayed his
welcome. The deputy attempted to speak to Ruble and was met with threats of
violence directed toward both the female and him. During this encounter Ruble
spat in the complainant’s face then ran into the home.
Our deputy gave chase and apprehended Ruble in the kitchen
area of the home. Ruble initially complied with commands to surrender, but
immediately resisted when the deputy attempted to cuff him. Ruble initially
placed his hands in his pockets and refused commands to “show his hands.” When
our deputy took control of Ruble’s arm/hand Ruble lunged for kitchen knives
within arm’s reach in an opened dishwasher. Our deputy was able to control Ruble
and take him to the ground but the fight continued. The deputy was battle bruised,
his uniform ripped, brass stripped from his vest and Taser ripped from its
holster but he persevered. Deputy Ryan Park, a newcomer to the LCSO family, was
able to restrain Ruble on the living-room floor until backup arrived some 10
minutes later. Deputy Park was unable to call for emergency assistance because
any attempt to reach for his radio would have allowed Ruble to escape his grip
and continue the fight.
Corporal Tom Martin arrived and immediately rushed to Deputy
Park’s assistance. But, Ruble still was not willing to give up. He continued to
fight with both deputies until he was ultimately overpowered and cuffed. But,
still he fought. Ruble was eventually at the receiving end of Corporal Martin’s
Taser when he refused to get into the deputy’s patrol car to be transferred to
the Detention Facility. Still he fought. Shortly after being escorted into our
jail, Ruble fought with Detention Staff and was Tasered again.
Because of the violent nature of Ruble’s behavior inside the
facility, he was not seen at first appearance the following morning. Therefore,
no bond was assigned. Ruble has been charged with battery for spitting in the
complainant’s face, two counts of battery on a law enforcement officer,
depriving an officer a means of protection or communication and resisting
arrest with violence. Ruble was first appeared this morning, April 19, 2017,
and his bond was set at $675,000.00.
Investigators located items believed to be drug
paraphernalia when conducting a follow up investigation. Investigators tested
these items and they tested positive for PCP. This could explain Ruble’s
sustained superhuman strength during the fight. Deputies never know what they
will encounter during a tour of duty and this is a perfect example of why
maintaining excellent physical fitness saved Deputy Park from injury.